Oachs and Ward Family Website
1. THOMAS1 WARDE was born Abt. 1400 in Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England, and died Bef. 1447. He married FELICIA FRISBY Bef. 1425 in Frisby Manor, York, England. She was born Abt. 1400 in Frisby Manor, York, England, and died Abt. 1447.
Notes for THOMAS WARDE:
The Warde name "Richard the noble captain de la Warde" is recorded as one of the Norman invaders who accompanied William the Conqueror during the Norman Conquest of England in 1066. The "de la Warde" can be translated to "of the guards". The invasion occurred on the southern coast of England.
William the Conqueror defeated King Harold of England at the Battle of Hastings. William's army was the first army composed of knights in chain-mail armor. The battle lasted most of one day but it was five years before William completely pacified England. He governed England from the areas of Leicester and Nottingham.
The earliest that a formal recording of the name in England occurred w as in 1175 and is that of a William de la Warde. In 1336 the surname appears in Leicestershire, England when Joh.(Johannes ?) Le Warde appears in the Tallage (Tax) Rolls of Leicester for a taxation of the tenth granted to the Lord King, of 2s, 6d. Thomas was one of two brothers [Theobaldus was the other] that were possibly descended from Johannes Le Warde. Theobaldus as the elder brother would have inherited the property at Carlton.
Theobaldus died during 1444, leaving a widow Cheselday, and a daughter, Margareta who married Johannes Dansey. The widow died with property at Carl ton Curlew that she had received from her husband, Theobaldus. When she died the property (seven virgates of land and four crofts with apputenances) would have passed to Thomas as the only surviving male heir.
"Ton" is an old Saxon word meaning "farm", thus Carls' Farm, a Curlew is a bird of England having unknown significance unless the area was noted for an abundance of Curlews.
Thomas is the beginning of this lineage. His widow, Felicia's will made the 14th of September 1447 mentions only one son Johannes Warde of Carlt on Curlew. Carlton is in todays County of Nottingham.
Child of THOMAS WARDE and FELICIA FRISBY is:
2. i. JOHANNES2 WARDE, b. Abt. 1425, Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England; d. Aft. 1503, Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England.
2. JOHANNES2 WARDE (THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1425 in Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England, and died Aft. 1503 in Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England. He married ALICIA ALLEN DE MARKFIELD Bef. 1480 in England. She was born 1450 in Markfield, England, and died Aft. 1503 in Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England.
Notes for JOHANNES WARDE:
The first recording of Johannes Warde is the following: Johannes Warde, son and heir of Thomas Warde de Carlton Curlew, appoints as his attorney, Wilhemus Poole, to deliver seisin to Sir John de Frisby of his manor of Frisby with the appurtenances, and all his rents in the County of York.
Johannes made his will in 1503: "Be it known by these present that I, Johannes Warde de Carlton Curlew, Son of Thomas Warde, have given, and by th is writing have confirmed all my goods moveable and immovable, as well living as dead, to Johannes, my son, and Alicia, my wife, which I have in the day of my death, in the county of Leicester so that they may do with them as may seem best to them."
Children of JOHANNES WARDE and ALICIA DE MARKFIELD are:
3. i. JOHANNES3 WARDE, b. 1506, Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England; d. 03 Nov 1549, Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England.
ii. THOMAS WARDE.
3. JOHANNES3 WARDE (JOHANNES2, THOMAS1) was born 1506 in Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England, and died 03 Nov 1549 in Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England. He married ELIZABETH ASHBY. She was born 1508 in Ashby Castle, Quenby, England, and died Bef. 1559 in Carlton Curlew, Leicester, England.
Notes for JOHANNES WARDE:
Johannes held the manor of Carlton Curlew in 1509. On Oct. 5 1543 there is a grant from William Allen of Wheston to Johannes Warde of Carlton Curlew and Elizabeth, his wife, of Carlton Curlew "Thomas Frisby, Robert Aston, bondsmen [native] belonging to the said Johannes with all their chattels and sequelae begotten and to be begotten and with all other profits to wit fisheries, meadows, ways, water and hutaries within the town and without."
On Jan. 4 1546, Johannes Warde commenced a suit against a Wilhelmus Ashby to recover land in Market Bosworth, in the tenure of Johannes Warde at the ancient rental of 20s.
In 1547 Johannes Warde paid a tax of 4s 4d for a windmill. On Nov. 3 1549, Nicolas Warcoop complains that Johannes Ward has appropriated his land, consisting of a messuage, a garden and an orchard situated near Carlton Curlew. On the same day Johannes Warde conveyed to Jacobus Barton a certain house and tenement situated in Market Bosworth for an annual rental of 20s.
Chldren of JOHANNES WARDE and ELIZABETH ASHBY are:
4. i. THOMAS4 WARDE, b. 1528, Carlton, Carlew, Leicester, England; d. Bef. 1618, England.
ii. JOHANNES WARD, b. 1530, Carlton, Carlew, Leicester, England.
iii. ROBERT WARDE, b. 1531, Carlton, Carlew, Leicester, England.
4. THOMAS4 WARDE (JOHANNES3, JOHANNES2, THOMAS1) was born 1528 in Carlton Carlew, Leicester, England, and died Bef. 1618 in England. He married ALICIA ELIZABETH BARTON 22 Aug 1558 in Braunston, Rutland, England, daughter of WILLIAM BARTON and ELIZABETH. She was born 1532 in Braunston, Rutland, England.
Notes for THOMAS WARDE:
On 18 Sep. 1561, Thomas and Elizabeth his wife, sold a tenement at Carlton Curlew to William Hatton along with one acre of arable land which he had inherited from his father Johannes.
On 2 Sep. 1562 a grant is recorded from Johannes Capet of Gretford, iron-monger, to Martin Barton and Thomas Warde of Carlton Curlew of a messuage in the city of Leicester, St. Peter's Parish.
On 11 Feb. 1563 William Barton and Margaret his wife by an indenture gives to Thomas Warde and Elizabeth his wife all the lands, rents, tenements and heredity payments in Braunston, Rutland Co. containing plowlands also free feeding [Elizabeth's parents property].
On the forth day of January 16xx, "Thomas Warde, son of Johannes Warde late of Carlton Curlew, being an inhabitant householder in one of the before mentioned tenements and being officially born within the said borough is admitted and made free to take benefit out of the borough lands." He then payed for registering and recording his name as an inhabitant accordingly to the decree.
Children of THOMAS WARDE and ALICIA BARTON are:
i. GEORGE5 WARDE, b. 09 May 1559, Carlton Curlew, England.
5. ii. JOHANNES EDWARD WARDE, b. 9 Mar 1560, Braunston, Rutland, England.
iii. THOMAS WARDE, b. Aug 1561, Carlton, Curlew, England.
iv. WILLIAM WARDE, b. 23 Nov 1563, Carlton Curlew, England.
v. JOHANNA WARDE, b.29 Aug 1564, Carlton Curlew, England.
vi. JANE WARDE, b. 1566, Carlton Curlew, England.
5. JOHANNES EDWARD5 WARDE (THOMAS4, JOHANNES3, JOHANNES2, THOMAS1) was born 19 Mar 1560 in Braunston, Rutland, England. He married MARIA HATTON 03 May 1599 in London, England. She was born 1573 in London, England.
Notes for JOHANNES EDWARD WARDE:
The second son of Thomas and Alicia Barton Warde moved to London, England from the family estates which he may have inherited directly from his father or indirectly from his brother George as on 10 Nov. 1641 Maria (Warde) Bailey of St. Martin conveyed to her brother Alexander Warde all of her property in Carlton Curlew which she had inherited from her father Johannes Warde.
Children of JOHANNES WARDE and MARIA HATTON are:
i. THOMAS6 WARD, b. 08 Jan 1599, Yorkshire, England.ii. WILLIAM WARD, b. 15 May 1603, London, Middlesex County, England; d. 10 Aug 1687, Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
WARD GENEALOGY II
I have not listed all the WARD descendants due to space constraints. The direct descendants of Minnie Myrtle Ward are highlighed in purple. You may click on any underlined text to see the supporting documentation or a photo.
Clare Prechel is the WARD Family historian. Some of the information listed is from the booklets that Clare compiles about the WARD Family.
The information regarding my WARD family history was researched by me using various databases provided by the LDS Church, Descendants of William Ward by Charles Martyn and WARD Family Booklets complied by Clare Prechel.
By Henery St. George
Copyright R. Gelardi. All rights reserved. 2008.
Information may be used for personal use only.
Oachs and Ward Family Website